How does it work?
When Botulinum toxin is injected into the underarm, it targets muscles in sweat glands and temporarily puts them to sleep for 5-6 months.
What areas can it be used to treat? Underarms and forehead
After cleaning the area, anaesthetic cream will often be applied. The area is marked out and, on average 3mLs of solution injected, on each side.
The down side?
- Bruising may occur. A grid like pattern is common but not long lasting.
- Slight redness, lasting minutes to hours.
- Very rarely; nausea, distant muscle tremors or a 'flu like illness.
- Botox® contains a small amount of human albumin that is collected from pooled blood donations in the United States. Particular care is taken with the control of donors, the manufacturing process and the removal or inactivation of any viral contamination. There is a theoretical risk of virus transmission, but none has ever been reported.
What could go wrong?
The following are complications and are never expected as a part of treatment. They are extremely rare.
- Local muscle weakness, ‘Flu like symptoms.
Who should not have treatment
- Pregnant, breastfeeding or clients trying for a baby.
- Patients who have any diseases that affect muscle activity, for example, Bell’s Palsy, Myasthenia Gravis or Multiple Sclerosis.
- Bleeding disorders or those taking drugs that affect bleeding time e.g. warfarin, heparin, aspirin and glucosamine.
- Drugs that may interact with Botox® examples include; aminoglycoside antibiotics, spectromycin and quinine sulphate. It is also probably safest to avoid usage whilst taking antimalarial quinine based drugs too, although an interaction is only a theoretical problem.
- Surgery or active infection in the area.
- Intolerance to egg albumin (still being debated)
Price of treatment
The price is £260 per treatment.
Botox® has a fantastic outcome in most cases. It’s a joy to see my patients being able to wear tighter styles and clothes of different colours. Often patients have struggled with the strongest, irritant antiperspirants. Happily, Botulinum A treatment in this area seems to last considerably longer than on the face. More information can be found at www.botoxseveresweating.com
Treatment Clinics in Brighton, Hove and Mid Sussex. 01273 691424 or 07809 415211