Sunspots & brown marks
Brown patches on the face, chest and hands form as a result of sun damage. They represent a permanent change in the DNA of the pigment producing cells and can be a challenge to treat. However, the advent of Laser and IPL means that superficial pigment marks can be dealt with. Along with redness, brown spots are an ageing giveaway, and one which is often overlooked. We use a Cyanasure Elite Alexanderite laser and a Lynton Lumina IPL machine that produces a select range of wavelengths that can target the brown colour causing them to darken initially and flake off. This may take a series of treatments. Superficial peels can also work well together with this treatment.
Firstly, a test patch will be performed on several of the brown spots. Protective goggles are worn and cool gel or cold air is put onto the skin. The laser like light is directed at various different IPL energies. There is a quick hot sensation. The area will be reviewed one week later.
Monthly treatment sessions will then be necessary: it is worth planning a run of time to avoid any sun exposure to the area. Many patients choose to start Laser-IPL pigment removal in the winter months.
What to expect afterwards
An initial darkening of the brown spot, with a red halo surrounding the area, leading to a gradually lifting and sloughing off of the mark. The occasional scab or blister
plus dry or itchy skin in the area treated may also occur.
What can go wrong?
Very rarely, brown or white skin patches can form. Over-pigmentation may fade or be treatable. Under-pigmentation may be permanent.
- IPL is often uncomfortable. The Alexanderite Laser is now used in preference. We have both in the Clinic.
- Suntans and even fake tans are not allowed.
- This treatment sun sensitises the skin and makes it more prone to pigment changes. You must wear sun block for at least 6 weeks after treatment and avoid sun exposure.
- Multiple treatments are necessary.
Some conditions that may mean you will not be able to have this treatment.
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Photosensitising drugs (Roaccutane, St Johns Wort, Aminospectrin, Gold and many others)
- Porphyria, SLE, Vitalligo.
- Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy or Steroid therapy.
- Keloid scarring
- Semi permanent makeup or tattoos in the treatment area.
The treatment times and prices depend on the amount of time taken to complete the area: A single brown mark may only require a few IPL shots, while complete treatment of the hands or arms may approach 30 minutes. A range of prices are provided below and a quote will be given at your consultation.
|A few isolated sunspots||£ 50|
|Cheeks or neck||£ 110|
|Chest/ decoltee||£ 120|
Keep Young and Beautiful - Beauty & anti-ageing treatments.
Tel : 01273 691424
Email : email@example.com